Tuesday, May 11, 2010

5/11: Reflection

Well after seeing what Curitiba, Brazil turned their city into, the conserve and load principle is a lot more feasible than I initially thought, and this is hopefully one of many exemplar cities to come. The challenge still, in my opinion, is getting a strong support group behind the principle and in-turn directing funds at sustainable design. Curitiba proved that the design is suitable, and one that is conforming and beneficial for all who are there to enjoy it from the slums to the prosperous. There are definitely problems of acceptance, but there is no contradicting the data and research backing it, which I think will prove to be a huge positive motive for sustainable design over time.
With so much controversy and tight budgeting practices currently seen on a global scale more or less, it's going to be extremely hard to get taxpayers and elected decision makers to make a shift to sustainable design. It is a shift that is going to be drastic and costly up front, and possibly well into the future. When I look at what all could and needs to be done to make our living space well paired with nature, granted any change helps, the changes that come to mind are drastic and I would consider an overhaul. Money is being cut from education systems, welfare, and all across the board, with very little in comparison being devoted to sustainable design in most instances. So for a tangent like sustainable design to get the significant attention and portion of taxpayers pocket books, it's going to take a lot of support.

Up until this point in my sustainable design knowledge, I would have considered myself somewhat "greenwashed," as previously admitted. Through this lecture and seeing all of the green infrastructure puzzle pieces starting to be put together in a place like Curitiba, I would consider myself a strong believer. Watersheds are something I would have never considered as a part of green/sustainable design. Not that my thoughts have changed, but seeing all of the design concepts of sustainability connected builds a foundation of support for me.

As eluded to earlier, I suppose the question I want to ask the articles, is now that we have a significant amount of support and proof that sustainable design works, how can we transform the rest of the country who hasn't seen the light after sitting in these class lectures into a believer of sustainable design. How can we get sustainable design to get vast support on our ballots and a piece of the pie in terms of our budgets? It has to be a strong commitment for every person of this nation, how do we make this happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment